nanog mailing list archives

RE: bgp feed to customer

From: "Jim Gonzalez" <jim () impactbusiness com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:54:19 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: William Herrin [mailto:bill () herrin us]
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 3:34 PM
To: Richard Zheng
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Subject: Re: bgp feed to customer

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Richard Zheng <rzheng () gmail com> wrote:
This is probably a typical setup for border router not speaking BGP,
wonder how to handle it properly. Border router B is connected with
customer router C. Router C wants default-only/partial/full routes.
Router B can't or is not willing to handle it. Router C has a multihop
EBGP session with a backbone router A. To get router B know the
customer routes, router A redistributes them from EBGP to OSPF.

The issue is redistribution from EBGP to OSPF works half way. OSPF
database has the external routes, but forwarding address is set to
Router A. So the routing loop occurs between A and B.

I wonder if it is a design issue or configuration issue?

 ----------                  --------------
------------
| BGP rtr A |  ============ | no-BGP rtr B |  ============ | Customer
| C |
 ----------                  --------------
------------

Hi Richard,

Just a SWAG, but run IBGP on router B with just your internal routes
(including the customer route) instead of exporting into OSPF?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/> Falls

Hi Richard,
        Could you run a bgp session on Router B ? I had to do this once for
a customer because we had layer 3 switches on the edge with routing. I
configured 2 BGP sessions at the customer's router. The first session was
between  Customer C and Router B. I only sent the default route to the
customer.  The next session was ebgp multihop between Router A and Customer
C  with full routing.  I did allow the customer to announce the /30 to
Router B just so Router A could learn the return path or you could just
static route the /30 from Router A

Now if the link Breaks between Router B and Customer C BGP will drop both
sessions.

Thanks
Jim Gonzalez