nanog mailing list archives

Re: Yup; the Internet is screwed up. - Land Assistance...

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 23:00:38 -0400

Yep, don't mention it

One regulation you may run afoul of is the the new zero tolerance quiet zone
enforcement

Cowbells are definitely out, mooing dubious.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/01/nina-in-new-york-grouchiness-prevails-in-central-park/

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Don Gould <don () bowenvale co nz> wrote:

Yes thank you very much Mr J for the links you provided.  :)

We have actually done our research, unlike the gent having a rant in the
initial linked article, and were aware of the abundance of both low cost 2g,
3g and  free wifi in the area.  Again, as I explained it is one of the
reasons for selecting settlement in the area.

The savings of not having to pay for broadband access for the transceivers
on each of our cows will more than off set the investment in the new milking
shed (all cows are fitted with wifi/2/3g transceivers with bluetooth
integrated headsets so we can do a broadcast to them telling them it's time
to come in for milking).

However, what does concern me is the lack of free wifi choice and the fact
that only one provider is going to be delivering it and the terms they plan
to offer such free access and the fact that we are generally opposed to
using American Telephone and Telegraph because of their perceived alignment
with some political or social groups.

What we would like to see is a government mandate that all network
providers in the area step up and form a long term working party for the
establishment of short, mid and long term outcomes that will fully represent
the interests of foreign rural farming investors such as my company.

In keeping with the general tone of many technical internet mailing lists,
I would also like to point out that you have not assisted in addressing the
question, which I might remind you is around regulations for installation of
irrigation and not the availability of free wifi from a company that very
clearly has vested interests in locking my watering system investment out of
the market so they can dominate the industry and impose different levels of
water supply based on their shareholders interests.

Farmer Don