nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hotmail?

From: Tony Finch <dot () dotat at>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 12:18:49 +0100

Martin Hepworth <maxsec () gmail com> wrote:

Have a look at the Hermes mail system at cam.Ac.uk, built buy among
people Philip Hazel of exam fame

Philip did not in fact have much to do with Hermes other than writing
Exim. (I think he might have had a hand in early versions of our user
administration scripts...)

Our webmail software "Prayer" was written by David Carter. It's basically
Pine for the web - it uses the UW-IMAP c-client library. We handle about
30K active / 5K concurrent users on one webmail server and it isn't
breaking a sweat.

David also did a lot of customization to Cyrus, mainly replication and
undelete. These features are part of the standard Cyrus distribution now,
and they hve been significantly improved by the guys at Fastmail.fm.

I wrote a description of our setup several years ago. The architecture is
still basically the same, though storage volumes are up by a few binary
orders of magnitude.
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~fanf2/hermes/doc/talks/2004-02-ukuug/

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot () dotat at>  http://dotat.at/
East Malin, East Hebrides: Variable 4, becoming westerly then southwesterly 5