nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why no IPv6-only day (Was: Protocol-41 is not the only tunneling protocol)

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 22:46:08 -0700

On Jun 6, 2011, at 4:41 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:
On Jun 6, 2011, at 2:23 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
IPv4 will never reach those figures.  IPv6 isn't preferenced enough for
that to happen and IPv6-only sites have methods of reaching IPv4 only
sites (DS-Lite, NAT64/DNS64).

I think you'll be surprised over time. Given the tendency of the internet
to nearly double in size every 2 years or so, it only takes 7 cycles (about
15 years) for the existing network to become a single-digit percentage
of the future network.

Owen

Hm.  With roughly 1B people on the internet today[0], 7 cycles of
doubling would mean that in 15 years, we'd have 128B people
on the internet?

Ah, but, today, we don't really have 1B people on the internet, we
have about 10,000,000 people on the internet and about
990,000,000 people behind NAT boxes, so, in 7 cycles of doubling
we'll be at 1,280,000,000 people on the internet. ;-)

I strongly suspect the historical growth curve will *not* continue
at that pace.

Likely, but, I couldn't resist pointing out the reality above anyway.

Even without the growth curves continuing, the IPv4 internet will
become a relatively small fraction of the total internet in about 15
years.

Owen