nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 words

From: "William F. Maton Sotomayor" <wmaton () ryouko imsb nrc ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:19:08 -0400 (EDT)

(Warning:  This email contains scenes of flashbacks)

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

I am sure it has come up a number of times, but with IPv6 you can make up fancy addresses that are (almost) complete words or phrases. Making it almost as easy to remember as the resolved name.

It'd be nice in a weird geek sort of way (but totally impractical) to be able to request IPv6 blocks that have some sort of fancy name of your choice.

2001:db8:dead:beef::
dead:beef::
dead::beef

3fff:BAD::

Seriously though, I remember playing little games like this numbering Novell IPX network segments back in the 1990's. After IP came on the network I think I was accussed of polluting pristine IPX nets....then...

I'll stop now. ;-)

wfms