nanog mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft's participation in World IPv6 day

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2011 17:20:26 +1000

In message <DFE74319-378F-4134-B521-452328B179F0 () delong com>, Owen DeLong writes:

It's how you handle the exceptions.  Home users have port 25 off
by default but can still get it turned on.  Most home users don't
need a public IP address as they are not running stuff that requires
it however some do so planning to handle the exceptions as efficiently
as possible is a good thing to do.

I disagree. I look forward to a day when all home users by default
have a public IPv6 address for each of their machines and hopefully
enough to support multiple subnets within the home.

need == something they currently do will break without it when LSN is
deployed for IPv4 and there is not a suitable workaround.

I'm all for customers getting public IPv6 addresses.  Keeping IPv4
running until IPv6 is ubiquitous with minimal breakage is the
challenge.

Until then, IPv4 service without at least one public IP is degraded
at best compared to what most people consider normal residential
internet access today (which, frankly, is degraded at best compared
to what I consider normal internet access).

I've got two applications that won't work behind a LSN.  A sip phone
and a 6in4 tunnel however I'm not typical.

You're not that atypical either, at least compared to US users. The
following very common applications are known to have problems
with LSN:
      Playstation Network
      X-Box Live
      AIM/iChat/FaceTime
      SIP/Vonage/other VoIP services
      The HTTPs Server on TiVO boxes
      Peer to Peer (torrent, etc.)

Other less common applications also have problems:
      HTTP servers
      SMTP servers
      Back to my Mac
      VNC
      Tunnels

So you take these things that are known to break as exceptions to
being behind a LSN and when there is a workable alternative you
remove it from the exception list with a desription of the work
around.

e.g. SMTP servers don't require a public IPv4 address.  STARTTLS
with authenticated TURN to a external MX will work.  Similarly a
external dual stack MX + IPv6 support will work.  The ISP could
supply that external MX.

Looking at 6to4 and auto tunnels they really are a small percentage
of customers that could be auto detected by the ISP and be put into
the exception pool prior to enabling LSN.  Most CPE routers today
don't enable 6to4 (they either don't support IPv6 let alone 6to4
or its not turned on by default).  As for directly connected machines
many of then still require 6to4 to be turned on by hand (XP, Mac
OS).

While this is true, I'm not sure it's all that relevant.

Most ISPs I have talked to in the US are dreading the deployment
of LSN and not planning to deploy it by default except to the
extent absolutely necessary to meet customer demand.

What's easier for the ISP, detecting the  customers that use protocol
41 today and automatically adding them to a exception pool or
fielding the support calls?

Moving them to IPv6 and hoping that enough of the content providers
move forward fast enough to minimize the extent of the LSN deployment
required.

Owen

Mark

Without any commitments to cite, plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Cb
If I were doing it I would also have checkboxes for some of the
more common reasons and include IPv6 connectivity as one then have
a 6 month grace period once the ISP offers IPv6 connectivity before
removing that as a valid reason for needing a address that is not
behind the LSN.

LSN is beeing actively implemented in the core network of several
ISPs, and most didn't yet consider it as optional. Nor are ready for
v6 connectivity to residential customers, though.

For users behind a forced NAT (no way to disable it on the CPE) or
LSN, the only way out is still tunneling. Talking about bandwidth and
infrastructure waste...
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org