nanog mailing list archives

Re: unqualified domains, was ICANN to allow commercial gTLDs

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:47:47 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl () iecc com>

The notion of a single-component FQDN would be quite a breakage for
the basic concept of using both FQDNs and Unqualified names.

Well, you know, there's a guy whose email address has been n@ai for
many years. People have varying amounts of success sending him mail.

My Zimbra UI says it "might be invalid"; the default postfix config inside
it tries to send it to n () ai baylink com, and complains because the domain
won't resolve.

If I'm reading 3.2.4 of 2822 properly (that notation is one I'm not
entirely familiar with, and should be), that really is a valid 2822
address, as odd as it sounds.

Clearly, it's semantics are unexpected, though.  I guess I should go hang
a bug on it.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com