nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 - real vs theoretical problems

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 16:14:29 -0800

My frame of reference is that while we need to make the addresses big
enough, we also need to preserve the hierarchy.  There is no shortage
of addresses, nor will there be, ever, but there could be a shortage
of levels in the hierarchy. I assume you would like a home to have a
/48?  But, from my provider's /32, that is only 4 levels at the
assumed nibble boundary.  I think my provider could use another
two levels.

If your provide has more than 10,000 customers they should never have gotten a /32. The braindead notion that
everyone needed to rush out and get a /32 has not helped get IPv6 deployed. The /32 value was the default one for a
startup provider. Every provider with a customer base should have done a plan for a /48 per customer, then gotten the
right size block to start with. Any provider with a /32 and more than 10k customers needs to do that now and swap for
'a real block', instead of trying to squeeze their customers into a tiny block due to their insufficient initial
request.

ARIN proposal 121 is seeking to clarify this in the NRPM. I've
also submitted a similar proposal to APNIC and expect it to be
published shortly and discussed in Hong Kong.

Unfortunately, I won't be in Hong Kong for the discussion, but, I'm going
to try and participate remotely.

I encourage anyone facing the /32 is not enough problem at the
service provider (or anyone else for that matter) to get involved
and speak up in favor of proposal 121 and/or the APNIC
equivalent.

I intend to put forth similar proposals where necessary in the other RIRs
as well.

Owen