nanog mailing list archives

Re: arin and ops fora (was Re: AltDB?)

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 06:35:19 +0900

I suspect part of the issue is that ARIN is a monopoly provider of a
variety public services that folks unrelated (directly) to ARIN must
make use of. In other areas of public service provision, there are
things like public utilities commissions that (in theory) ensure the
monopoly service provider acts in the public benefit when services are
added/changed/deleted.  My impression is that the various WGs and SIGs
in the other RIRs perform something similar to that function.  There
doesn't appear to be anything similar in the ARIN region.

having worked closely with a number of other RIRs, sad to say that a lot
still goes on under the table [0].  hence my cspan analogy, shed some
light in the corners.  the community should be transparent before
wikileaks gets to us. :)

randy

--

[0] - an old sardonic comment of mine on ripe is that it is a bottom up
      organization, and daniel and rob are at the bottom.  and wear