nanog mailing list archives

Re: arin and ops fora (was: AltDB? RPKI, the universe, and ...)

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 17:17:17 +0900

one difference in north america from the other 'regions' is that there
is a strong and very separate operator community and forum.
Right.  However, it seems to me that this strong separation has led to
exactly the problem you raised. The issue, as far as I can tell, is
that there are functions and services performed by ARIN that can
impact the operational community yet even within the existing ARIN
structures, there is no obvious (to me at least) mechanism by which
the operational community can voice their concerns/provide input/etc.
on these services and functions (excluding address allocation/policy
of course).

i will admit to some carry-over from the ietf's old high and mighty
attitude, "we're open, if you want to talk about it, come to our turf."
i am happy to say that this has been changing in recent years.

randy