nanog mailing list archives

Re: [arin-announce] ARIN Resource Certification Update

From: Alex Band <alexb () ripe net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:48:40 +0100

On 31 Jan 2011, at 04:25, Paul Vixie wrote:

the reasoning you're describing is what we had in mind when we built DLV
as an early deployment aid for DNSSEC.  we had to "break stiction" where
if there were no validators there would be incentive to sign, and if
there were no signatures there would be no incentive to validate.  are
you likewise proposing the hosted solution only as an early deployment
aid?

We primarily offer hosting it is something our community want. You can now see in the adoption numbers that is true. It
makes the entry barrier into the system as low as possible, which – apart from being a good thing in itself – aids
deployment.

i'm really quite curious as to whether you'll continue operating
an RPKI hosting capability even if it becomes unnec'y (as proved some
day if many operators of all sizes demonstrate capability for up/down).
if so, can you share the reasoning behind that business decision?

We're building and maintaining this with membership fees. Why would we keep something operational our members no longer
want and need using their money? I sincerely doubt we'll ever get to that point soon, but we'll see.

-Alex Band