nanog mailing list archives

Re: NIST IPv6 document

From: Phil Regnauld <regnauld () nsrc org>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:57:50 +0100

Jeff Wheeler (jsw) writes:
are badly needed.  The largest current routing devices have room for
about 100,000 ARP/NDP entries, which can be used up in a fraction of a
second with a gigabit of malicious traffic flow.  What happens after
that is the problem, and we need to tell our vendors what knobs we
want so we can "choose our own failure mode" and limit damage to one
interface/LAN.

        Well there are *some* knobs:

        http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipv6/configuration/guide/ip6-addrg_bsc_con.html#wp1369018

        Not very smart, as it just controls how fast you run out of entries.

        I haven't read all entries in this thread yet, but I wonder if
        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jiang-v6ops-nc-protection-01 has been
        mentioned ?

        Seems also that this topic has been brought up here a year ago give
        or take a couple of weeks:

        http://www.mail-archive.com/nanog () nanog org/msg18841.html

        Cheers,
        Phil