nanog mailing list archives

Re: PPPOE vs DHCP

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:33:58 -0600

On 1/26/2011 9:36 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:
Terminating PPPoE generally isn't much different than terminating
VLANs.  In Juniper world, it requires the right equipment. Cisco
world, it's not generally a big deal.

Unless, for example, you already sunk a chunk of change into Cisco 10Ks, and now want IPv6 on your PPPoE.  Not that I'm
becomming increasingly bitter about that platform or anything...

10K isn't supporting IPv6 on PPPoE? I thought the 10K specialized in utilizing the IOS SR line. I've played with PPPoE and bridging on the 7200s mostly. I need to kick up an ASR, as I hear it's specialized code line has much better IPv6 support than IOS SR. both XR/XE codes seem to be much more richly featured, especially for radius backending DHCP.

Jack