nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Naming

From: David DiGiacomo <davidd () corp nac net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:00:47 -0500

Nick,

I do not believe there is a written standard for naming gear ( or at least I have never seen one) Most naming scheme's
are usually something arbitrary

RAS gave a pretty good tutorial on traceroutes once,  specifically he covered the topic of interpreting DNS in a
traceroute.
I know we are not talking about traceroutes or DNS here but hopefully this can give you a little insight into naming
your equipment.

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog45/presentations/Sunday/RAS_traceroute_N45.pdf