nanog mailing list archives

Re: [arin-announce] ARIN Resource Certification Update

From: Steven Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 23:27:48 -0500

On 2011-01-24, at 20:24, Danny McPherson wrote:

<separate subject>
Beginning to wonder why, with work like DANE and certificates in DNS
in the IETF, we need an RPKI  and new hierarchical shared dependency
system at all and can't just place ROAs in in-addr.arpa zone files that are
DNSSEC-enabled.
<snip>
But what about this case?

 RIR allocates 10.0.0.0/8 to A
 A allocates 10.0.0.0/16 to B
 B allocates 10.0.0.0/24 to C

In this case the DNS delegations go directly from RIR to C; there's no opportunity for A or B to sign intermediate
zones, and
hence no opportunity for them to indicate the legitimacy of the allocation.

it's not the best example, but I know that at UUNET there were plenty
of examples of the in-addr tree not really following the BGP path.

The other essential point is that routers don't do RPKI queries in
real-time; rather, they have a copy of the entire RPKI database, which
they update as needed.  In other words, the operational model doesn't
fit the way the DNS works.