nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: R A Lichtensteiger <rali+nanog () tifosi com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 17:34:43 -0500

david raistrick wrote:

Everyone doesn't suddenly get "owned" because there isn't a external
firewall.  Modern OS's default to secure.

We clearly live and work in different worlds.   Not to mention that
"we" are not the average consumers anymore.   We were, in the days
before NAT (and SPI).

A quick mental review of my relatives indicates more than a few of
them with a PC jacked into a cable modem. The only firewall is the
one that comes with Windows.

Sure, pretty much every company and +some+ residential service has a
firewall fo some sort in place, but they aren't the automatic default
that you are assuming.  As you say, "live and work in different
worlds."

Reto
--
R A Lichtensteiger      rali () tifosi com

     "A polar bear is just another way of expressing a rectangular bear"