nanog mailing list archives

Re: quietly....

From: Matt Addison <matt.addison () lists evilgeni us>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:41:35 -0500

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:23, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch () muada com>wrote:

But all of this could easily have been avoided: why are we _discovering_
DNS addresses in the first place? Simply host them on well known addresses
and you can hardcode those addresses, similar to the 6to4 gateway address.
But no, no rough consensus on something so simple.

I'll admit right now that I don't know nearly enough about the IETF process,
but it looks like there have been 2 separate attempts at this:
draft-lee-dnsop-resolver-wellknown-ipv6addr - ID, expired
draft-ohta-preconfigured-dns - ID, expired

Until one of those is revived (or a similar draft is written), and makes it
through IETF to reach RFC status, and there are assigned addresses from
IANA, there are no well known addresses for anyone hardcode.

~Matt