nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hughesnet outage - where can I ask?

From: denys () visp net lb
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 03:17:33 +0200

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:27:31 -0430, Greg Ihnen wrote:
I run a small network in the jungle of Venezuela which is fed by a
rebranded Hughesnet connection. We just had a four day failure where
the only protocol that worked was ICMP and we were completely without
communication. Traceroutes all failed in a bizarre way when using UDP,
TCP or GRE packets but traceroute with ICMP worked fine. Our provider
(Bantel) is blaming Hughesnet but I'm not finding anything to back
that up in forums or in searching the web. I don't want to bother this
forum's members with my questions regarding what the traceroute
results show and what the problem might be. Is there another forum
where these questions would be appropriate? Thanks in advance.

Greg
As ugly workaround maybe make IP over ICMP tunnel
http://thomer.com/icmptx/

My idea that maybe PEP (some acceleration software for tcp/udp) failed