nanog mailing list archives

Re: To the people who answer tech questions on this list

From: Michael Dillon <wavetossed () googlemail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:30:46 -0800

As for LinkedIN, I have nothing against, it, but I don't use it. I don't
have an account on it
and not sure I ever want to. I'm already slightly on facebook, and very
active on twitter,
so nothing against linkedin, but there's just too many social media websites
to keep track of....

There are no perfect solutions. It seems to me that Twitter is not
conducive to technical Q&A and given the choice between Facebook and
LinkedIn, it seems that the professional social network is more likely
to gain traction. Nobody has to participate if they don't want to;
it's just about adding a choice and seeing whether or not people
really want this kind of thing.

       Hmm, wouldn't http://serverfault.com/ or http://www.quora.com/ be a more
       appropriate / efficient forum for technical questions ?  Or does it have
       to be NANOG specific ?

Never heard of Quora and that seems to be tied to Facebook, so not
ideal. As for serverfault, that is a good idea but serverfault is not
really for general IP networking questions related to routing and
switching or ISP networking. Therefore, I have proposed that the
operators of ServerFault and StackOverflow create a new site called
NANOG (maybe it shouldn't be exactly that name).
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/29470/nanog
If you have questions, comments, or want to commit to using the site
for Q&A, please visit it and join in. It accepts Google, Yahoo,
MyOpenID, AOL and Facebook credentials.

--Michael Dillon
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=13566587