nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 mistakes, was: Re: Looking for an IPv6 naysayer...

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 23:43:53 -0800

On Feb 9, 2011, at 10:35 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

On 10/02/2011, at 4:39 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1102092156050.16359 () goat gigo com>, Jason Fesler wri
tes:
In my recent probe of route servers, I found 22 legacy /8's that were partly

or completely unused.  I'm a little surprised ARIN/ICANN thinks it's a waste

of time to even try to reclaim them.

Because it is a waste of time and money.

That's an assertion I've heard, but has anyone quantified it?   How much time and money would it take?  Has anyone
just asked the 22 /8 holders mentioned above nicely if they might just like to give them back for some good
publicity?  You know, US DoD migrates to IPv6 and returns X /8s for the good of the American people (assume ARIN) so
that broadband might continue to grow and thrive in the land of the free?

MMC

Multiple times.

The most optimistic estimates are on the order of 4 years.

The most optimistic estimates of the return rate are on the order of 6-8 /8s (not the
100% of 22 /8s you are postulating).

The legal expenses would be extreme.

So, for $ALOT and 4 years of effort, you might get back as much as 4 months of
address space.

Next?

Owen