nanog mailing list archives

Re: Misconceptions, was: IPv6 RA vs DHCPv6 - The chosen one?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 21:00:01 -0500

On 12/29/2011 8:12 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
Well I'd like to be able to plug in the cable router and the DSL
router at home and have it all just work.

Well, that's not too far removed from the plugged-in laptop with the
wireless still active.  Toss-up which one wins default route.

What would you "like" it to do?  BGP feeds from both (likely not
happening)?  Defaults from both?  Or you just want active/passive failover?

The real-world case for host routing (IMHO) is a server with a public
interface, an administrative interface, and possibly a third path for
data backups (maybe four if it's VMware/VMotion too).  Unless the
non-public interfaces are flat subnets, you need some statics (today).
It can be a challenge to get SysAdmins in a co-operative mindset to
route that correctly (and repetitively if you have a server farm).

I would be walking the fence on the virtues of automatic route discovery
in that case versus the security of static routes/configurations.

But home use from a host perspective?

Jeff