nanog mailing list archives

Re: TDM voice DOS

From: harbor235 <harbor235 () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:01:20 -0400

the complication is that the the attack victim is not IP .......... Can't
turn up a firewall or router
to mitigate.

mike

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Charles N Wyble
<charles () knownelement com>wrote:

On 08/16/2011 11:46 AM, harbor235 wrote:

Anyone been involved with TDM voice DOS attacks? My thoughts are that if
the
phone
call originates as an IP call somewhere in the wild, then typical abuse
security incident notifications may help
in the interim.

Indeed. Though I suppose it depends on where they come from. Probably
originate in various nasty neighborhoods of the net.

 At least potentially identify through customer records or
make them move on where they eventually slip up.

Right.

If the abuse originates as IP what obligations do foreign service providers
(friendly?) have to
identify and mitigate?

Well I work at a very large shared hosting provider. Our upstream provider
gets abuse complaints and a ticket lands in our queue telling us to clean up
or the box gets dropped off the net (anywhere from 4 to 48 hour warning
window).

I'm guessing that most large service providers have similar procedures in
place? Just hit up the abuse contacts for the IP range.  Doesn't matter
where the destination is, what media etc. If it originates on an IP
network/device, it can be dealt with that way.

However the bad guys probably aren't using the large providers, as they
usually operate 24x7 abuse desks,  which means rapid ban hammering.  :)

 How can the community respond to service providers
who fail to
clean up their customer base?

iptables -s x.x.x.x/8 -j DROP  (modify to your local site firewall drug of
choice).