nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Real World Maturity (was re: How long is your rack?)

From: Paul Graydon <paul () paulgraydon co uk>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 15:10:52 -1000

On 8/14/2011 2:43 PM, Tim Wilde wrote:

On 8/14/2011 8:36 PM, Charles N Wyble wrote:
Can someone explain the operational relevance of the never ending v6
threads that are the EXACT SAME ARGUMENTS over and over and over
again? :)
Yes, they prove that IPv6 is not a viable technology as it currently
stands and we should be working on the next big thing, of course!
IPv42, here I come!

On a serious note, though, really, what DOES it say about the real-world
maturity / actual chances of adoption for IPv6 that Charles' statement
above is, in fact, true?  Not trying to be anti-IPv6 or start a flamewar
(well, okay, I am trying to start a flamewar, that's what Sunday nights
are for :)), it's honestly something that puzzles me.  It just doesn't
feel right...

It doesn't say all that much, just that nothing ever changes in the world. Protocols have never been perfect, and probably never will be. Engineers and Ops have always struggled to make something that suits both worlds.

Paul