nanog mailing list archives

Re: Home computer rooms

From: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko () piuha net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 09:20:40 +0300

13.8.2011 3:18, Charles N Wyble kirjoitti:
All,

Related to my thread about home data centers, what are folks using to
store compute gear in?

Mine sits in two racks in my second bedroom. Cooled by ambient AC.

Mine sits in a small room / closet under the stairs, in an on-purpose built for this. But it is a little cramped with the current amount of equipment I have.

Has anyone built a dedicated room? What resources did you use to do so?
Are their any standards to reference etc?

I do not believe there are any standards applicable to this, though I've sometimes wondered if someone should write a guideline document for recommendations concerning what kind of setup makes sense from a long term perspective. Cat6, tubing to be able to replace even those, enough space & ventilation for the equipment, power, etc. I chose to put my IT equipment in a different utility room than the electrical/heating/etc equipment. In most new houses the two are in the same room.

Here's some more information on what i did & some pictures:

http://www.arkko.com/rakennusprojekti/kotiverkko.jpg
<http://www.arkko.com/rakennusprojekti/networkdesign.html>
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.74638548291.75895.702428291&l=940df4dde9&type=1
<http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.74638548291.75895.702428291&l=940df4dde9&type=1>http://www.arkko.com/rakennusprojekti/networkdesign.html