nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 end user addressing

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 11:18:26 -0700

On Aug 11, 2011, at 10:41 AM, sthaug () nethelp no wrote:

And your average home user, whose WiFi network is an open network named
"linksys" is going to do that how?

Because the routers that come on pantries and refrigerators will probably be
made by people smarter than the folks at Linksys?

One could argue that routing and access control is even less of a core
business feature for pantry and refrigerator manufacturers than it is
for Linksys. So I wouldn't rule this out - but I'm definitely in the
sceptical camp.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug () nethelp no

Let's face it... CPE security needs are going to be radically different and consumer
expectations are going to rise quickly in this area with IPv6.

I suspect both refrigerator/pantry makers _AND_ Linksys et. al. will be forced
to adapt.

Owen