nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 address exchange

From: Jeff Wheeler <jsw () inconcepts biz>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:07:32 -0400

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM, John Curran <jcurran () arin net> wrote:
   Imagine for a moment that you had quite a few
unneeded addresses and the upheaval also meant
no pesky policy constraints on your monetization efforts -
would you then view it as having some benefit?  You just
might not have the right perspective to appreciate the
potential up$ide...

In this view, then, the "benefit" of independent, fragmented WHOIS
databases and API access to IN-ADDR DNS zones is that addresses could
be traded outside of RIR policy.

It seems to me that RIR policy would need to change to allow such
third-party databases to publish delgation data to DNS/WHOIS.  Since
this is the case, end-user advocates of such system should simply
argue in favor of eliminating any justification for transfer
recipients.  In this case, ARIN would naturally supply the same DNS
and WHOIS service they do to allocation-holders today.

I still see no tangible benefit to third-party DNS/WHOIS databases,
except to the operators of those databases.  The up$ide seems to be
entirely in favor of new database operators, not existing
stakeholders.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw () inconcepts biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts