nanog mailing list archives

Re: 365x24x7 (sleep patterns)

From: Vinny Abello <vinny () abellohome net>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:24:45 -0400

In a past work life, there was a short experimental run where it was believed that the company I worked for could achieve 24/7 coverage through individuals being on-call throughout the entire weekend AND doing overnight maintenance during the week in 12 hour daily shifts from 8PM to 8AM. Needless to say, coming from a daytime schedule one week, covering all pages on a weekend which prevented you from getting much sleep, working 5 12 hour shifts in the following week on shortened sleep cycles (over 100 hours in total with the on-call and 12 hour shifts), then switching back to daytime hours the next week took a toll on me rather quickly. I think we got an extra week day off in there somewhere to recover the following week, but it was basically like running a person into the ground until they were almost dead, then letting them recover while the same thing was done to the next person. There were only 4 people to abuse like this at the time so it happened once a month. Luckily everyone came to their senses and realized this wasn't sustainable and it didn't last for more than a few months total.

Moral of the story, don't do this to people unless you're into torture. :)

-Vinny