nanog mailing list archives

Re: Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to an Alternative?

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer () bfk de>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:34:43 +0000

* Justin Scott:

No such luck: They want me to PAY FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR for
which I did NOT receive service and then for the current (upcoming
year). Sorry - I don't allow myself to be ripped off like that.

Hi John, this is actually a pretty common practice for service
subscription models where the software and its components (spam filter
rules in this case) are being continually updated.

But it's not been updated during the sabbatical.  In this regard, it's
very different from crisis support services, where such a model is
still obnoxious, but at least makes some sense.

but you're going to benefit NOW from work that was done at that time
(the un-paid period) AND all the future updates that come out during
your new renewal period.

Seems doubtful, given the volatility of filtering rules.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer () bfk de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99