nanog mailing list archives

Re: Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:39:19 -0700

On Apr 8, 2011, at 9:30 AM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

On 4/8/11 8:31 AM, Job Snijders wrote:

As Seth pointed out SHIM6 is still an academic exercise

Another Locator / ID separator protocol is LISP. The advantage is that you don't need to
change the host but only the CPE. I've been using it to multi-home my house and it works
fine. I'm multihoming my IPv6 /48 over a v6-only DSL and a v4-only FTTH connection.

More information about LISP be found here: http://www.lisp4.net/

Ah, I completely forgot about LISP, which reminds me, I'd wanted to set
it up for fun and learning.

~Seth

LISP can also be a good option. Comes with slightly more overhead in terms of
encapsulation/etc. than the GRE tunnels I use and has limited (if any) functionality
for IPv4 (which GRE supports nicely).

Owen