nanog mailing list archives

Re: Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 07:04:25 -0700

On Apr 7, 2011, at 6:51 AM, Tomas Podermanski wrote:

Hi Daniel,
   all IPv6 multihoming ideas are very theoretical today. None of them
is ready to use. Shim6 looks very good, but it requires support on both
a client and a server side. As you can guess, there is only experimental
support for some operating systems. Microsoft and Apple doesn't support it.

Well, BGP multihoming works today quite well. It's no different from IPv4
and is a perfectly viable technology.

A one possible solution I have found is based on a network prefix
translation (NPTv6 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mrw-nat66-12). Using
NPTv6 you can do multihoming that is very similar to multihoming based
on IPv4 NAT.

You can also use thumb cuffs to suspend yourself from a rafter, but, I don't
recommend it unless you are into pain.

Owen