nanog mailing list archives

Re: Randy in Nevis

From: Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:29:35 +0200

John Peach <john-nanog () johnpeach com> writes:
On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:06:02 +0200
Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no> wrote:

It's common knowledge that 465 *was* smtps.  A decade ago.  But it has
never gone anywhere, and it is way overdue for an "obsolete" tag.
Everyone actually caring about SMTP over SSL are using STARTTLS on
port 25 and 587.  The faster we kill SMTPS the better.  Keeping it in
current /etc/services and the like is only going to confuse people.

You obviously don't use a Blackberry with an imap(s) server.....

No, I obviously don't. But I'm eager to be educated: What the heck does
imap(s) have to do with port 465/tcp?

I can guess...  I have also been frustrated while trying to configure
all sorts of MUAs. But don't you think that you had been better off if
the 465/tcp entry in /etc/services had been updated when it should, 5
years ago, on the system where that Blackberry MUA was developed?

If you fix /etc/services today then maybe you don't have the same
problem with your new Blackberry 5 years from now.

Bjørn