nanog mailing list archives

Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid,

From: Robert Bonomi <bonomi () mail r-bonomi com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:09:55 -0500 (CDT)

From nanog-bounces+bonomi=mail.r-bonomi.com () nanog org  Mon Sep 20 13:24:42 2010
From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:25:31 -0400
Subject: Re: Did Internet Founders Actually Anticipate Paid,
To: Justin Horstman <justin.horstman () gorillanation com>
Cc: NANOG <nanog () nanog org>

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Justin Horstman
<justin.horstman () gorillanation com> wrote:
Devil's Advocate here,

What would you say to ISP A that provided similar
speeds as ISP B, but B took payments from content
providers and then provided the service for free?

Gives you the choice, ISP A, which costs, and ISP B,
which is free, and most people wouldn't know the difference.

Justin,

I'd say ISP B was incorrectly described. He doesn't provide service
for free; he merely has a different customer. In ISP A, the end user
is the customer but in ISP B, he isn't.

I'm tempted to point out that there have been severl attempts at the
ISP B model.   None of which are still in existance.  I take that back,
one or two of them may still exist, but they're not using that business
model any more.