nanog mailing list archives

Re: Convenience or slippery slope... or something else?

From: Leigh Porter <leigh.porter () ukbroadband com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 23:05:04 +0100

You need to go to qqwqaaqws.ipq.co to find out more...

On 10 Sep 2010, at 18:44, Jon Lewis wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010, Reese wrote:

A friend brought this to my attention:

http://ipq.co/

He saw it at http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1678324

I'm not sure whether to shriek in joy or in pain. Will data from
this service - if it is a worthy service - propagate properly?
Play nicely with or break other people's toys? Is it a gimmick?

How's it going to break anything?  I just created one...

tentententen.ipq.co.    86400   IN      A       10.10.10.10

so...now I can use tentententen.ipq.co as a name that resolves to 10.10.10.10...assuming I trust ipq.co to keep that
A record and not delete or change it at some point.  Other than the fact that you can't change it[1], how is this any
different (other than being less useful) or scarier than DynDNS?

1. EMAIL ADDRESS
optional, but will allow you to update the record later (once we implement it)

Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
Atlantic Net                |