nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 fc00::/7 — Unique local addresses

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 18:48:40 -0700

On Oct 21, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Karl Auer wrote:

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 01:46 -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
If your big enough to get your own GUA and have the dollars to get
it routed then do that.  If you are forced to use PA (think home
networks) then having a ULA prefix as well is a good thing.

home network: 2620:0:930::/48

In Oz it costs real money to get IPv6 address space from the RIR
(APNIC). Around AUD$6K in the first year, around AUD$1100 each year
thereafter.

Your /48, according to the ARIN website, cost you US$625 this year, will
cost US$937.50 next year, and $1250 every year thereafter.

Uh, no... You're misreading it.

It cost me $625 (or possibly less) one-time when I first got it.

After that, the annual $100/year has been part of the same $100/year
I've been paying for my IPv4 resources.

Fairly trivial amounts for most commercial entities, but prohibitive for
all but the most enthusiastic home user.

Agreed, but, at $100/year that I was already paying for IPv4, it seemed
pretty trivial. I bet you spend more than that at Starbucks each year.

Owen