nanog mailing list archives

Re: Definitive Guide to IPv6 adoption

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 11:59:05 -0500

On 10/18/2010 11:47 AM, Randy Carpenter wrote:

Unfortunately, it is not as easy as that in practice.

I recently worked with a customer that has ~60,000 customers
currently. We tried to get a larger block, but were denied. ARIN said
they would only issue a /32, unless immediate usage could be shown
that required more than that. Their guidelines also state /56 for
end-users. I am a big proponent of nibble boundaries, too. I think if
you are too big to use only a /32, you should get a /28, /24, and so
forth. It would make routing so much nicer to deal with.  /31 and
such is just nasty.

ARIN does reservations (unsure at what length, but at least down to /31). If you were to fill the /32 quickly, you could easily request the next block. To my knowledge, they've only handed out 1 or 2 networks shorter than /32.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 60,000 customers at /56 2^24 assignments from a /32? Seems plenty. Even at /48 assignments, you'd get 65,536 assignments. So how can you justify more than a /32?

Jack