nanog mailing list archives

Re: NEVERMIND! (was: ARIN Fraud Reporting Form ... )

From: John Curran <jcurran () arin net>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 04:18:40 -0400

On Oct 3, 2010, at 3:51 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

So while I was looking at the WHOIS records for the set of blocks that were
(apparently now past tense) being 'jacked by AS14202 earlier today (Saturday)
I happened to come across the following annotation in one of the relevant
IP block WHOIS records (but _only_ one):

 Comment:        The information for this network has been reported to
 Comment:        be invalid. ARIN has attempted to obtain updated data, but has
 Comment:        been unsuccessful. To provide current contact information,
 Comment:        please e-mail hostmaster () arin net.

YESSS!  This is exactly the kind of thing I have been asking for!

But more to the point, this is the exact kind of thing that (very bizzarely)
John Curran just told me that he would accept as, in effect, and enhancement
request... AS IF IT DIDN'T ALREADY EXIST, or as if ARIN wasn't already doing
this exact thing.  (See the WHOIS for NET-204-89-0-0-1, which, as we speak,
contains the above helpful annotation.)

While I knew that we were building the list (as required by policy)
of netblocks without any valid contact info, I was not aware that
the entries would also be nicely annotated in WHOIS as shown above.

Congrats, Ron, whatever your favorite holiday is, it comes early
this year.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO