nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tools for teaching users online safety

From: Joly MacFie <joly () punkcast com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 00:01:54 -0400

Also the FTC has set up a comprehensive site to protect kids, including a
guide for parents on kid's use of social networks.

http://www.onguardonline.gov/

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM, J.D. Falk <jdfalk-lists () cybernothing org>wrote:

On Oct 25, 2010, at 6:13 PM, Alex Thurlow wrote:

I'm trying to find out if there are currently any resources available for
teaching people how to be safe online.  As in, how to not get a virus, how
to pick out phishing emails, how to recognize scams.  I'm sure everyone on
this list knows these things, but a lot of end users don't.  I'm trying to
find a way to teach these things to people who aren't too technically savvy.

It seems to me that the fewer end users that have issues, the easier our
lives will be.

So what I'm trying to figure out is, is there a good site or set of sites
for this stuff, or is there anyone out there interested in helping to build
a unified list of instructions, videos, etc. for all this?

http://staysafeonline.org/ has recently emerged as the primary site for
all of that kind of information, supported by DHS and a lot of big companies
(including many who send people to NANOG meetings.)

--
Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com