nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 sunset date revised : 2009-02-05

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme () americafree tv>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 00:27:46 -0400

On Oct 22, 2010, at 12:10 AM, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:52:32PM -0500, Jack Bates wrote:
On 10/21/2010 10:48 PM, bmanning () vacation karoshi com wrote:

    not so much - it runs on linux instead of a closed OS.
I think you missed the point. Many are waiting for it to be supported on
their brand of routers. Not everyone has huge numbers of servers sitting
around acting as translation gateways (or spying on traffic).

      true dat.  but there was also a subtext on CPE kit.

      not all of us are big telcos or buy IP service from same.

      to paraphrase Dave, if ATT decides to drop IPv4 support,
      sigh its a pita, but I don't -NEED- ATT IP services.
      I can get much/most of what I want/need w/ a little work/elbow
      greese.

      if the goal was to scare people w/ a very public "retirement" date
      for IPv4 - then maybe it worked.  As for me, the retirement date
      was a year or so back.  No worries here.

      if folks fit the model described above, the rock is new/untested
      code (IPv6 support) and the hard place is NAT (still going to need
      it in a mixed v4/v6 world)  ... If there are NAT functions w/
      tested code paths that have already passed QA, then that becomes
      an easier sell to mgmt - no?

      And ATT realises that 99.982% of its customers
      could care less if its IPv4 or IPv6 or IPX... They just know
      (cause ATT told them) that the Internet grew out of the World
      Wide Web... and that is what they need with their i[fone/pad/pod/tv].

      ATT will find a way to keep its costs down and provide the functionality
      demanded by its customers.

It seems to me that it would be very scary for AT&T for AT&T to say, "we will shut off IPv4 in X years, prepare now" -
what if provider X starts running ads saying "AT&T doesn't want your business, but we do and will keep you happy." So,
unless one provider really becomes dominate in 10-15 years, I don't see that happening.

If providers X, Y and Z band together to do this, I see anti-Trust issues (although IANAL).

I can't see an SDO like the IETF doing this (and the IETF is not immune to anti-trust, either).

So, if we go down this road, the only real path I see involves some government (US, EU, maybe in 15 years even the PRC)
or
some set of governments mandating it. Whether that would be a good thing is left as an exercise to the reader.

Regards
Marshall

Jack