nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level 3 Communications Issues Statement Concerning Comcast's Actions

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:54:19 -0800

As a Comcast customer, I find it very interesting that they think they have
the right to reject bits from other providers I may request them from.

The first time I encounter Comcast actually blocking bits I want as a
result of this policy, it will result in a technical support call. If the bits
don't start flowing within a reasonable time after that call, you can
bet that I will be pursuing regulatory and judicial relief.

Ordinarily, I would simply vote with my feet and switch to another
broadband provider, but, if you want more than 1.5Mbps/384kbps
in my neighborhood, Comcast is currently the only game in town.

I encourage other Comcast customers to make it clear to Comcast
that this attempt to extort money from other providers at the potential
cost of degraded service to Comcast's own customers is deplorable
and certainly violates the spirit if not the letter of the service agreements
for their high speed internet service products.

Owen