nanog mailing list archives

Re: Low end, cool CPE.

From: Francois Menard <francois () menards ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:08:39 -0500

On 2010-11-12, at 4:24 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 05:41:00PM -0800, Leo Bicknell wrote:

I've run into a number of low end CPE situations lately where I
haven't found anything that does what I want, but I have to believe
it is out there.  I'm hoping NANOG can help.

Mikrotik RB750G here with RouterOS 5.0RC3

Since I'm on a cable modem with Port 25 blocked and I want an SMTP server at home, I'm now using the Router to
additionally set-up an L2TP tunnel into PortableIP.com, grab a fixed IP over there, use this as my MX and DST-NAT into
an SMTP server at home.

Also I'm SRC-NATting out everything to the cable modem, but the SMTP traffic back out the L2TP interface.

All of this on a $70 box, with a very fast CPU, and 5 GigE ports.

F.