nanog mailing list archives

Re: Current trends in capacity planning and oversubscription

From: "Curtis, Bruce" <Bruce.Curtis () ndsu edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:57:20 -0800

On Nov 9, 2010, at 11:26 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:

While the answer is always it depends, I was wondering what the current
rules of thumb university network engineers are using for capacity
planning and oversubscription for resnets and admin networks?

For K-12, SETDA (http://www.setda.org/web/guest/2020/broadband) is
recommending:

- An external Internet connection to the Internet Service Provider of at
least 100 Mbps per 1,000 students/staff
- Internal wide area network connections from the district to each school
and between schools of at least 1 Gbps per 1,000 students/staff

How does that compare with university and enterprise network rules of
thumb?

  Page 10 of the presentation on the link you provided says those are the numbers they recommend "for the next 5-7
years".  Perhaps they meant to say "in 5 to 7 years"?

  "for the next 2-3 years" they recommend 10 Mbps per 1,000 people to an ISP and 100 Mbps per 1,000 people between
schools.

  Our campus is already using almost 3 times the ISP bandwidth recommended "for the next 2-3 years".

  If we take our current ISP bandwidth and increase it by 50% every year for 5 years it would be about twice the 100
Mbps per 1,000 students/staff recommendation.

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis () ndsu edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University