nanog mailing list archives

Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

From: Jack Bates <jbates () brightok net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:48:53 -0600

On 11/8/2010 9:56 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

I note that he doesn't actually describe how to implement a large-scale
addressing and routing architecture. It's all handwaving.

That's an extremely hard to address problem. While there are many proposals, they usually do away with features which we utilize. I'm looking at a graph on the noc screen right now which shows how grotesque natural load balancing can be between 3 AS interconnects. I have enough free overhead to allow this, but eventually I will have to start applying policies to balance better. This implies that I'll eventually have to advertise sub-aggregate v6 prefixes to balance as well (perhaps some /31 or /32 announcements overlaying the /27).

The problem with most of the other methods are they ignore policies and the desired route to reach a network, and instead rely on any way to get there. But let's be honest, the current problems tend to be memory problems, not performance problems. It annoys me that vendors did this last increment in such a small scale guaranteeing we'll be buying new hardware again soon.

Jack