nanog mailing list archives

Re: RINA - scott whaps at the nanog hornets nest :-)

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:34:44 -0700

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 2:21 PM, George Bonser <gbonser () seven com> wrote:

As for the configuration differences between units, how does that change
from the way things are now?  A person configuring a Juniper for 1500
byte packets already must know the difference as that quirk of including
the headers is just as true at 1500 bytes as it is at 9000 bytes.  Does
the operator suddenly become less competent with their gear when they
use a different value?  Also, a 9000 byte MTU would be a happy value
that practically everyone supports these days, including ethernet
adaptors on host machines.

While I think 9k for exchange points is an excellent target, I'll reiterate
that there's a *lot* of SONET interfaces out there that won't be going
away any time soon, so practically speaking, you won't really get more
than 4400 end-to-end, even if you set your hosts to 9k as well.

And yes, I agree with ras; having routers able to adjust on a per-session
basis would be crucial; otherwise, we'd have to ask the peeringdb folks to
add a field that lists each participant's interface MTU at each exchange,
and part of peermaker would be a check that could warn you,
"sorry, you can't peer with network X, your MTU is too small."  ;-P

(though that would make for an interesting deepering notice..."sorry, we
will be unable to peer with networks who cannot support large MTUs
at exchange point X after this date.")

Matt