nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internationalized domain names in the root

From: JC Dill <jcdill.lists () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 12:01:50 -0700

Geoff Adams wrote:
On 5 May 2010, at 2:16 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM, David Conrad <drc () virtualized org> wrote:
Perhaps a bit off-topic, but some folks might get support calls...

http://وزارة-الأتصالات.مصر/

(that's Arabic for <Ministry of Communications>.<Egypt>)
Great progress and interesting addition to the root, only issue is
that after all the work with IDNs you land on a page written in
english (web browser lang does not matter, name resolves to the same
IP as the original URL). Hope they soon take advantage of the new name

The page shows up in Arabic for me in all three of Safari

When I first checked this site yesterday, I saw a page in English[1]. The same page is in Arabic today, in the same browsers that displayed English when I checked yesterday. I assume the server admin waited until the domain went live before implementing language display selection based on the URL used to reach the site, and now it's working correctly.
[1]  Such as I see when I use this URL instead:  http://www.mcit.gov.eg/

jc