nanog mailing list archives

Re: BT strike could affect internet and phone connections

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 01:10:36 -0700

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM, joel jaeggli<joelja () bogus com>
On 2010-05-27 10:42, andrew.wallace wrote:

Look at it from an attackers point of view. If you're thinking
about carrying out an electronic jihad of some kind when is the
best time? A normal working day or during an engineers strike
that only happens once every 23 years?

Not to put to fine a point on it, a normal working day is the best
time to strike if you want to maximize the value of your attack.

The point I'm getting at is this strike of this nature is a threat to
national security and the internet is supposed to be classed as
critical infrastructure, so shouldn't it be against the law for them
to strike?

The phone system has been critical infrastructure for 120 years...

Or has the law in the UK not got as far as the United States has on
deeming what's critical infrastructure yet?

We are far behind the United States and its about time we played
catch-up.

I don't think a CWA strike has been declared illegal in recent history...

-- Andrew

http://sites.google.com/site/n3td3v/