nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 in Education Question

From: Xiaoliang Zhao <xleonzhao () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:39:54 +0800

End-to-end transparency means that IPv6 supports peer to peer naturally.
That means everyone (students, teachers, parents etc) can talk to each
other more easily without having to involve third parties, and can talk
to each other from anywhere on the globe. Less mediation, more direct,
more distributed.

The death of NAT will mean that more and more stuff will be hosted
locally - on teaching machines, student laptops, home PCs, mobile
phones. I think we will see fragmentation and distribution of things
that are now monolithic. Things like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and so
on will be reduced to special purpose indexing services - or will die.
Why use them when you can have all your stuff on your mobile phone,
accessible 24/7, wherever you are?

Good points.

Leon
CERNET2 network engineer