nanog mailing list archives

Re: 192.0.0.0/24

From: Leo Vegoda <leo.vegoda () icann org>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:24:05 -0700

On 29 Mar 2010, at 11:17, Lou Katz wrote:

We recently were told to contact a client (via ftp) at 192.0.0.201. IANA lists this as
Special Use, but refers to "RFC 3330 for additional information. http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt";.
This RFC says that it might be assigned in the future.

RFC 3330 was obsoleted with the publication of RFC 5735. I thought I'd updated all the references we made to RFC 3330
but if I've missed one I'd be grateful if you could point me to it.

So, did the folks who sent us the IP address fat-finger, or has this been assigned?
There does not appear to be any route to it.

192.0.0.0/24 is used for the IANA IPv4 Special Purpose Address Registry:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-ipv4-special-registry/iana-ipv4-special-registry.xhtml

No assignments have been made yet but I'd strongly advise people not to use addresses in this range as a substitute for
the space reserved in RFC 1918. It's likely to cause operational problems at some point in the future.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda