nanog mailing list archives

Re: Auto MDI/MDI-X + conference rooms + bored == loop

From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:57:51 -0400

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 02:11:32AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
Sounds like you forgot to configure the "Root is that-way ->" sanity
check on your switches.  Make sure that Root bridge can't be
determined to be in a direction other than "upstream" will help
a lot with this.

No STP in the core, only on the managed edges.

So basically, the problem is the core switches implement a proprietary
loop-prevention protocol that sends "beacon" frames out every 500ms,
and if a certain number of these special frames come back (exceeds
threshold) it shuts down the port.  Even with a 10:1 ratio of

That's Icky... Can you replace that with traditional spanning tree?
It's just too sensitive for a deployment of any real size.

STP is eliminated by vendor's design recommendations.  Active/active
split LAG across two core boxes.  But yes, I agree that this design is
proving--lacking.

The good news is that this core is being replaced soon, hopefully with
gear that will be able to implement a service-provider-like design
with per-port VLAN separation as was suggested in this thread.  But it
surprises me that low-end switch vendors (like NetGear) still put out
crap that doesn't do STP, especially when the switch does Auto
MDI/MDI-X, which is just asking for trouble.

Usually people don't use Netgear cheap switches in environments with
more than a desktop worth of topology.

We don't generally put them in, users do.  There are a few cases where
we have a dearth of cable or conduit space and needed something small
and quiet to put there.  Hence my question about better switches to
use in those scenarios.

Anyone know if Auto MDI/MDI-X is inherent or required in 1000Base-T?
It would be nice if I could shut it off.

Yes, it is. (This is actually a good thing in everyone else's
environment).

It's easy to claim that no one else but me has this problem.
Designing a "dekstop" switch that makes it easy to create accidental
loops, but then has no loop-prevention mechanism seems irresponsible
to me...