nanog mailing list archives

Large number of IPv6 bogons with spoofed ASpath

From: Andree Toonk <andree+nanog () toonk nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:04:40 -0700

Hi List

Yesterday I noticed a large number of 'bogon' IPv6 announcement.
I think it was about a 100 different (IPv6) bogon prefixes [1] [2] being announced from a what looks a variety of origin ASns.

Being the administrator of one of these ASns, I'm quite confident that we were not actually announcing this prefix (f006:9000::/24).

Looking more carefully at the data. it looks like the Origin AS / ASpaths are spoofed. I suspect it's just one person/organization somewhere in AS174 or AS3257 network which is announcing these bogons prepending it with different ASns.

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? Someone doing some kind of an experiment?

I summarized my observations here: http://bgpmon.net/blog/?p=299

If anyone has more info about this, please let me know as I am interested to learn more about this.

Thanks,
 Andree

[1] http://www.bgpmon.net/showbogons.php?inet=6
[2] http://bit.ly/cH1INE