nanog mailing list archives

Re: Best Practices checklists

From: David Meyer <dmm () 1-4-5 net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:12:55 -0700

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 05:05:35PM +0100, Michael Dillon wrote:
I expect that the collected members of this list could do a good job
of defining some network security practices checklists. Now that NANOG
has been spun out as an independent entity, I would hate to see it
become just another conference organizer. In the recent past many
professions have learned how valuable a simple checklist is in
preventing errors and ensuring that work adheres to a certain
standard.

So I am suggesting that NANOG take on the task of compiling and
publishing checklists for various areas of network operations. We
could have a NANOG wiki where people can publish, and work over,
suggestions for checklist topics and content. Then at the conferences,
a BOF-style meeting could hash out the official published versions.

We could have an interesting debate on whether or not this would make
a difference and whether or not NANOG should take on this role. But I
hope that we are now at a point where we see that network sloppiness
and insecurity are becoming such major issues that action is needed.
Let's act first, and evaluate the usefulness of the work, later.

This is in large part what Aaron is trying to organize. There is
a track on this topic on Monday afternoon. Please see

http://nanog.org/meetings/nanog49/abstracts.php?pt=MTU2NyZuYW5vZzQ5&nm=nanog49

Thnx,

Dave